- Q: I’M A BEGINNER AT HANDSTANDS, WHAT CANES SHOULD I BEGIN WITH?
- A: For beginners we recommend keeping things short and starting with 8″ canes. We recommend setting up the canes against the wall when first kicking up to your handstand for additional safety.
- Q: CAN I SWITCH MY CANES STICKS FOR TALLER ONES WHEN I BECOME MORE ADVANCED?
- A: Yes. Our cane sticks are removable. You can keep your same blocks and bases and purchase a taller set of sticks and train on different height canes on the same piece of equipment.
- Q: IS THERE ANY MAINTENANCE NEEDED FOR MY CANES FOR SAFETY?
- A: No maintenance necessary, but we recommend checking and tightening your blocks & sticks before each use to make sure they are secure and facing the direction you prefer.
- Q: HOW DO I TRAVEL WITH MY CANES?
- A: Traveling with canes is easy. The canes can be broken down and disassembled into separate pieces and reassembled by hand or with a pair of pliers or pipe wrench.
- Q: HOW DO I CHOOSE BETWEEN FIXED CANES OR H_BASE?
- A: Our fixed base canes have a width of 14", which is the most common for all athletes (the average adult male is 15" and average adult female is 13"). If you prefer a narrower or wider, then we recommend the H-Base and you can select 12", 13", 14", or 15".
- Q: I ENJOY HAND BALANCING BUT MY WRISTS GET SORE AND TIRED. WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND?
- A: First, be sure to practice flexibility and strengthening drills for your wrists and hands. You can also use balance blocks which allow your fingers to wrap and grip for support which eases the strain on your wrists and hands. Last, 15 degree angled balance blocks can be ordered which further alleviate the stress on the wrists (angled blocks are also available for canes).
- Q: SHOULD I BUY SMALL, MEDIUM OR LARGE BLOCKS?
- A: Block size is purely personal preference and typically people with small hands prefer small blocks and people with larger hands prefer the medium blocks. Large sizes are typically preferred by more advanced hand balancers. Paperback books (find some that are close to 3.5", 4", and 4.5") are a great way to test your preference.
- Q: WHY SELECT ANGLED BLOCKS VS. SQUARE?
- A: For most people square blocks are preferred. If your wrists and hands get sore and tired quickly, angled blocks will help. Angled blocks are also preferred if you practice a lot of hand-to-hand or acro yoga and want to better simulate the partner contact.
- Q: CAN I INSTALL STALL BARS ON ANY WALL OF MY HOUSE/ APARTMENT/ CONDO?
- A: Stall bars can be installed on most walls. Standard construction using wood studs on 16 inch centers is the easiest and preferred walls for mounting. A lot of newer homes use steel studs which will require proper dry wall anchors to be installed prior to mounting the bars to the wall. Older homes with plaster walls may also require anchors if the studs are not easily located. Contact us if you would like to learn more.
- Q: I AM TRYING TO CHOOSE STALL BARS. WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR TO KNOW WHAT IS THE RIGHT FIT?
- A: Stall bars are very simple with few options to consider. The most important is if it has a pull-up bar (or two). Additional features to be considered are the overall height and width, spacing between the rungs, offset of the pull-up bar to the rungs, and diameter of the rungs. If you intend to use them for Scoliosis Therapy select theSchroth bars which are made to the required specifications for physiotherapy.
- Q: I'M 220 POUNDS. WILL YOUR STALL BARS SUPPORT ME?
- A: Yes. Our stall bars have been static load tested to over 300 pounds. However, there are many exercises and drills that can apply 2 or 3 times your body weight. Therefore, whenever possible we recommend placing your hands and feet as close to the side uprights as possible.
- Q: WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ROUND AND OVAL RUNGS?
- A: We use 1-5" round rungs on our fitness bars, which provides a great grip for all hand positions, especially when inverted or flagging. Oval rungs are offered on our Schroth Bars for scoliosis therapy.
- Q: WHAT IS A BALANCE BOARD USED FOR?
- A: A stable surface is important for proper hand balance drills and practice. If you typically practice/train on cushions, carpet, grass, sand, or cement a balance board is a great option for bringing comfort and stability. Our boards are smooth furniture grade Baltic Birch with an option to add a 3mm yoga mat on one side. Balance boards also create a great non-slip surface for practicing with blocks.
- Q: SHOULD I SELECT 6″ OR 8″ BASES?
- A: If you primarily use on cushions, mats, carpet, or other soft surfaces, the 8″ base provides a more stable surface.
- Q: SHOULD I SELECT 1-3/8″ OR 2″ DIAMETER RUNGS?
- A: Most people prefer the 1-3/8″ diameter but it is a personal preference. If you practice/condition on gymnastic parallel bars and are working towards hand stands on them, the 2″ diameter may be preferred.
- Q: WHAT IF I WANT TO CUSTOM ORDER CIRCUS EQUIPMENT?
- A: Beyond Balance offers custom orders and modifications for our fitness products. For custom circus or other fitness equipment, please visit our sister company Denver Circus Supply at www.denvercircussupply.com.
- Q: DO YOU STAIN YOUR WOOD?
- A: We use food grade mineral oil to stain and preserve all our wood products and maintain the natural feel and grain of the wood. The mineral oil is environmentally friendly and does not contain any harsh chemicals. We do not finish the products with a lacquer as it creates a hard, slick surface.
- Q: THE WOOD ON MY PRODUCT IS CHIPPING, IS THIS NORMAL?
- A: We handcraft all products and we stand by our craftsmanship. However, the nature of wood is that it is not perfect. Over time wood products could chip and fray a bit. None of this should effect the safety and stability of the product. If there is ever any concern, we are happy to see what we can do to help.
- Q: I AM NEW TO CALISTHENICS AND UNSURE HOW TO USE THESE PRODUCTS. HOW DO I USE YOUR PRODUCTS PROPERLY & SAFELY? DO YOU HAVE COACHES OR ONLINE TRAINING?
- A: Part of the fun of the equipment is playing and learning new skills, but this can be scary. We recommend online information from qualified coaches or bringing some of your equipment to your gym. Check our athlete and affiliate pages for contacts. Follow our Facebook & Instagram accounts @gobeyondbalance for exercises and training ideas.
- Q: DO YOU HAVE CERTIFICATIONS FOR TEACHING?
- A: Please contact us directly for information about becoming certified (or your instructors becoming certified) in teaching Handstands & Balance and for Stall Bars.
- Q: HOW DO I TAKE CARE OF THE YOGA MAT ON MY PRODUCTS?
- A: The yoga mat is glued onto the wood product. We recommend that you keep the mat out of heat and direct sun to prolong the longevity of the glued mat.
- Q: HOW MUCH WEIGHT CAN YOUR RUNGS SUPPORT?
- A: All rungs are made from 1-3/8″ diameter Poplar (except the 2″ paralletes) and have been static load tested to 350 pounds and are rated for 250 pounds static load.